Friday, August 13, 2010

A modern myth

It's Friday the 13th.

I can only hope a large musclebound psycho with a hockey mask doesn't murder me in the most gruesome way. Come to think of it, the Friday the 13th movies were pretty horrible even for their time. Does that mean I hate them? Of course not, I freaking love all of them. They have a stupid charm that can only be outmatched by the Nightmare on Elm Street series. I never was a big Halloween fan so I just leave that out. I know it's the big horror/slasher triumvirate for many people, but Halloween just never cut it for me.


But I'm not here to talk about the movies right now, I'm here to talk a little about the whole Friday the 13th myth. Being an atheist and skeptic myself, I can say right now that it's a bunch of baseless silliness. Well not exactly baseless, but the things giving it a base are pretty stupid too. You can all check out the origins of this myth on this WIKIPEDIA page. I could make some long winded, solid argument against the whole thing, but hey... if you're a rational and well educated person, you can probably tell that it's all make-belief. But that's just how we people are... we tend to believe any far fetched stupid stuff if enough people believe in it.


What I'm trying to say is this; don't believe this superstitious nonsense, it's just another day in the calendar, only difference is that it's over-mystified by the masses. You have nothing to fear, you can go outside the house, you have the same chance to have something terrible happen to you just like on any other day. Hmm... that didn't came out right now did it?

Now if you excuse me, I have to check the door. My neighbor gave me a phone call that a nice looking young man with a hockey mask is standing there since hours. He must be lost and looking for directions, god forbid maybe he's hurt from that hockey match he probably attended.

1 comment:

Microwave Jellyfish said...

I think you were about to get the old surprise visit, "that was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolent".

Just kidding.

But I've just finished reading Eclipse, and guess what, turns out the wedding of Edward & Bella will happen on August 13th, year unspecified. How cool is that?

Well, it's definitely a lot cooler than me, a 20-year-old man reading Twilight.

Writing endless lines of "ki, ki, ki, ki... ma, ma, ma, ma" here as in the Friday soundtracks would be a real cliché, so I'm off now.