Sunday, September 5, 2010

The power of one

Damn. Can't sleep. Insomnia, my friend nice to see you again.

This is what happens if you get sleep on an irregular basis for months. We all experienced this at some point. One day, you sleep a good healthy 8+ hours, the next day you only manage to get 2 and the third day you sleep 12+ hours because you're exhausted as shit. It's only downhill from there, I can tell you that. This doesn't bode well for me, because school starts on Monday and I can't seem to force myself to do normal sleep-wake cycles. At the time I started writing this, it was half past four in the god damn morning and I just woke up after barely three hours of sleep. Yeah, I take my sweet time to write these posts, no need to rush. But anyway, waking up too early is bothersome even though I'm not that tired or anything, I actually feel well rested but by the time of noon I'll be in zombie mode.

So anyway, these times are good to do some thinking, because you're basically torn out from your normal life cycle. May sound stupid, but I feel like I'm in an alternate dimension where I can be alone... thinking. At times like these, I like to listen to chilled out, laid back stuff. Lyrics are not important, just the feel of the music. Keeps me relaxed, lifts up the tension, creates the mood for thinking.



I like to think out of the box every now and then. René Descartes, the French philosopher said "Cogito ergo sum" which basically means "I think therefore I am". What it means is that one cannot be sure of anything else but the existence of self. Not the surrounding world, only the existence of one's own self. Of course Descartes thought a bit differently about the subject in the 17th century than we do in these modern times, but I think it's fairly accurate to assume that with time, not only people but ideas tend to change quite a bit.

If this is all true, then we can easily apply this to every individual in the world. Every individual thinks, therefore they exist. If everyone in reality would be the figment of imagination of one's self, then they wouldn't have the same basic human properties as one's self does. Or maybe they would because arguably, we have the subconscious need to apply our basic human properties to others. I see what I did there, I just disproved my own hypothesis. It was nice arguing with myself, because I can always agree with me.

In the end I think that's one of the most intriguing beauties of life. To be able to think. If you're uncertain in everything, you can always be 100% sure about one thing. You think, therefore you exists. Even if you're just a figment of my imagination. If that's the case I subconsciously gave you the same basic human properties that I too posses, therefore you really exist because I made you exist. This works vica-versa, maybe I am a materialized figment of your imagination that became part of reality. But isn't it awfully peculiar that we share so much in common, even if we never met? Maybe somewhere a great mind which doesn't exist anymore started it all and it developed into a self sustaining system. Reality as we know it became, because "Cogito ergo sum". The mind is a powerful tool indeed.

...

I got distracted since I started writing this, so it's half past six in the morning. Guess what? I'm tired again. I wanted to elaborate more, but my mental capacity is inadequate for me to do so. I may finish this on a later occasion (probably not), but I need to get some sleep now, at least a few hours worth.

Hope you enjoyed my pointless philosophizing, I sure did.

No comments: