Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Struck a nerve

Don't you just love re-installing your copy of windows?

I did it not long ago. To be honest, it's kind of a guilty pleasure because of my minor obsessive compulsive tendencies. When I'm in such a mood I totally clean up my place, make everything tidy, clean and I actually enjoy the process. I don't consider this to be a bad thing, since it doesn't really affect my life in a negative way, but it's still there. Other times, my room is a complete mess and I just don't care at all. Now without sidetracking much, let's keep at the subject. So I re-install the OS on my computer when things get too hectic and I feel it would be too hard and annoying to manually uninstall all the stupid crap I ended up piling on my hard drive. I just back up my important stuff and do a quick and clean re-install.

This time however, the aftermath got really annoying. You know you always need to download and re-install all the essential stuff like a proper browser, music player, msn and stuff like that. Speaking of which. Seen the new MSN... I mean "Windows Live Messenger"? Take a look:

Isn't it absolutely fabulous? Now I can chat with my friends while I browse all the new, hip and cool stuff on the internet, click on interesting advertisements, socialize with even more people, use the awesome built-in search engine; bing and get up to date with important issues like who are the sexy male tattoo lovers, Courtney Cox and David Arquette called it quits and celebrity trend reports. This is what I really needed in my life all this time, I just didn't knew. I needed the new WLM to tell me. Thanks so much, now my life is complete.

No. I don't want this shit. Go away you obnoxious piece of corporate diarrhoea fuckfart. It might interest some retarded, new generation, self centred teenager who has rainbow coloured emo styled hair, owns an account on every single social networking site and has no real life friends or an actual life, but not me. I'm 22 for crying out loud, when I want to chat with my friends, I want to chat with my friends, not read about the latest god awful hairstyle of some washed up, train-wreck celebrity who I don't give a damn about.

This new WLM looks like garbage, I can't customize anything, I can't see 95% of my contacts for some reason, the actual MSN part is like 5% of the main screen, it won't leave me alone with stupid advertisements that NOBODY cares about, it's the worst WLM version ever... and I don't like it. No. I don't care if you can actually make these things go away. It shouldn't be my task to remove all this crap to make the application actually useful, user-friendly and enjoyable to use. Even simple, basic stuff are missing like chatting while appearing offline, make it remember only my name without my password, only send or receive webcams and I bet there are a ton of stuff missing. It's annoying

So I uninstall it and install the older version I used before. What do I get?

Okay, this thing is evil. Not only I can't login with my own account, I MUST upgrade to the previously uninstalled shitbiscuit. Great, just great, next time I have to cut off one of my fingers, record it, send it to Microsoft and then maybe I can login with my own goddamn account. Why have a "no" option if you won't let me in anyway? Want a kick in the balls? No? Here's one anyway. Enjoy.

If you don't browse the web for solutions and don't go to every underground forum then you can't do anything, you won't figure this out of your own unless you're some computer expert. I can thank only my persistence because I searched high and low and found to solution. So this goes out to any and all of you poor unfortunate souls who makes the same mistake.

Download and install WLM version 8.5.1302, right click on the exe file and set the compatibility to Windows 2000. Then you can finally log in. That's the only way for some obscure reason.


I'm sorry for the unusually angry post, I just felt the need to rant, 'cause this right here is some really dumb, annoying, redundant and obnoxious crap Microsoft's pulling on us.

Well, at least something good came out of this. I found a neat little application called Circle Dock. It provides a nice way to store your shortcuts on your desktop in an organized and stylish looking way. You can customize it pretty well too, lot of options, I recommend it.



Here's some really nice, calm music after all this tension.


No comments: